Here at Fountain City UMC, we believe the Church is called to be the hands and feet of Jesus. We believe Jesus empowered and commissioned us as his followers to heal the cracks in our world, to love the way he loved, to finish the work of making disciples and changing lives. We believe, wholeheartedly, this is our calling, this is our focus, this is our privilege.
To celebrate this calling, and to invite our community to join us, FCUMC held our annual Missions Celebration on March 24-26. We kicked off the weekend on Friday with a churchwide meal (because Jesus + pasta = true love) with special guest speakers, Libby and Fred Dearing of GRACE Home for Children in South Sudan and Peter Pereira of Hope for Today in India. Please check out their websites for more information on the beautiful, transforming work of these God-driven ministries.
On Saturday, over two hundred volunteers gathered to package 40,000 meals for Rise Against Hunger. (Hairnets were involved.) Over the years of FCUMC’s involvement, our people have managed to package nearly 150,000 meals. It is the God-sized vision of Rise Against Hunger to end world hunger in our lifetime, and we at FCUMC are humbled to play a small part of that vision. Please make plans to join us again next year, as we set our goal even higher! (All you’ll really need to know is: RICE GOES LAST.)
On Sunday, several local and global ministries were represented in our Sunday school classes and worship services, inviting us to learn more about how to get involved. In response to an overwhelmingly moving weekend celebrating missions, our church body pledged over $78,000 (!!!) directly to Faith Promise, the FCUMC fund dedicated to supporting these ministries. I’m going to say that again, because I’m in charge of this website: our people pledged over 78,000 of their cold hard CASH MONEY to support ministries that are changing real lives and touching real eternal souls.
You can find out more about the people and ministries that visited FCUMC here:
- Brett Mathis with Agape Outreach Homes
- Kelly Gregory with Fountain City Ministry Center
- Mike Feeley with Henderson Settlement
- Peter & Esther Pereira with Hope for Today
- Fred & Libby Dearing with GRACE Home for Children
- Missionaries (name withheld) with Wycliffe Bible Translators
- Mary Lamance with Family Promise
- Linda Stransky with Jubilee Project
- Ross Jones with Lost Sheep Ministry & The Knoxville Dream Center
- Angie Sledge with Knoxville Habitat for Humanity
- Tim Adams with Wesley House
- Cedric Jackson with Emerald Youth Foundation
- Bruce Spangler with Volunteer Ministry Center
- Michael Armbrister with Project Crossroads
- Dr. Rhodes Logan with Africa University
Fountain City UMC was a bustling place during our Missions Celebration weekend (which is just how we like it)! Please visit our Facebook and Instagram pages for more photos, tidbits, and #cleverhashtags from the people who call this church home.